Spain and Barcelona legend Xavi Hernandez has announced he tested positive for coronavirus.
He was due to take charge of Al Sadd’s game with Al Khor on Saturday, but he will now self-isolate in line with Covid-19 guidelines.
Xavi said on Instagram that he wasn’t experiencing symptoms but will self-isolate until he has recovered.
Al Sadd will play Al Khor on Saturday, with the Qatari top division returning after four months of the league suspension due to covid 19.
“Today I will not be able to accompany my team in the return to official competition”. Xavi said
David Prats, reserve coach, will take my place as head of the technical team.
A few days ago, following the QSL protocol, I tested positive in my most recent Covid-19 test.
Luckily, I feel perfectly fine, but following the protocol, I will remain isolated until I have overcome it.
When the medical authorities allow me, I will return to my daily routine and work more eagerly than ever.
I thank all the authorities, especially those which allowed us the means for an early detection that avoids more spreading of the virus and guarantees the normal continuation of the season.
A hug, and see you soon on the football pitch!”
He who had previously spent the final four years of his playing career at the club after he joined in 2015 from Barcelona.