Sergio Perez coronavirus virus positive test might have prevented Racing Point from announcing Sebastian Vettel according to Sky Sports F1 expert Ted Kravitz.

Perez tested positive for COVID-19 before the British Grand Prix last Sunday and was replaced by Nico Hulkenberg who also eventually missed the race.

But beyond the Mexican’s positive testing, Kravitz believes Racing Point only used that as a strategy to delay Vettel’s announcement.

Last month reports surfaced that the UK based team are willing to sign Vettel who will leave Ferrari at the end of this year.

Billionaire owner Lawrence Stroll wants the German to partner his son Lance in the team.

He is ready to trigger Perez release clause and bring the four time F1 champion on board to Racing Point that will change its name to Aston Martin from the 2021 season.

Kravitz thinks Racing Point decided to respect Perez by not announcing Vettel’s signing over over the weekend.
It could have dampen his morale the more after testing positive for the pandemic disease.

“Did you think it was an interesting elbow bump between Sebastian Vettel and Lawrence Stroll, the owner of the Racing Point team?” said

“I thought it was. Rumour was at the beginning of the weekend that we might get an announcement that a deal had been done for Seb to join Racing Point next year on a multi-year contract when it becomes Aston Martin but then Sergio Perez’s Covid-19 positive test came through and it was clear that there wasn’t going to be any kind of announcement.

“They wouldn’t do that to Sergio. I think maybe the deal isn’t properly done but it does seem that we’ve had movement this weekend on that and there seems to be little doubt in this paddock right now that Sebastian
Vettel will be wearing some sort of silver, pink or green, depending on who the sponsors are of Aston Martin next year.

“I know we’ve all seen it coming but that seems to be on its way to being done.”

Meanwhile Vettel has refused to disclose if any deal is on the table. The 33-year-old says he is not in a rush regarding his future.

“I would give you an answer if I really knew but at the moment I don’t and I think it’s probably realistic to be patient and wait a little bit,” he said.

“That could be a couple of weeks, that could be longer than that. Time will tell. Nothing has changed to what I mentioned in the last three weeks or prior three races.

“I’m not in a rush, I want to make sure that I make the right decision for myself and then take it from there.

“I have made it clear, given the right package, I have a lot more to give, it depends on what the options are”, he concluded.