US Open defending champion Rafael Nadal will not be available to defend his title after confirming his withdrawal from the tournament.
The Spaniard remain another high profile figure to ditch the Flushing Meadows tournament citing the coronavirus pandemic as a reason.
Australian duo of women world number one Ashleigh Barty and Nick Krygios both last week withdrew from the supposed last Granf Slam of the year due to COVID-19.
USA have been the most affected country of the pandemic disease with over 14million cases.
In a series of tweets on handle, the four time US Open winner and 19 time Grand Slam champion says the pandemic is no way under control at the moment, he has to follow his heart.
“After many thoughts I have decided not to play this year’s US Open. The situation is very complicated worldwide, the COVID-19 cases are increasing, it looks like we still don’t have control of it.
“We know that the reduced tennis calendar is barbaric this year after 4 months stopped with no play, I understand and thank for the efforts they are putting in to make it happen. We have just seen the announcement of Madrid not being played this year.
“All my respects to the USTA, the US Open organisers and the ATP for trying to put the event together for the players and the fans around the world through TV.
“This is a decision I never wanted to take but I have decided to follow my heart this time and for the time being I rather not travel.“
Meanwhile US Open has supported Nadal’s decision to opt out of the event which kicks off August 31.
“Rafael is one of the greatest champions in our sport and we support his decision,” US Open tournament director Stacey Allaster said.
The 34-year-old defeated Daniil Medvedev 7-5, 6-3, 5-7, 4-6, 6-4 in a thrilling final last year that lasted 4 hours, 50 minutes to win his fourth title and 19 majors overall.