The World Boxing Council (WBC) has mandated the winner between Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder WBC heavyweight title bout to fight Dillian Whyte.
Fury and Wilder is a set to go against each other for the third time possibly on December 19, 2020, though not yet officially confirmed. The Brit will be looking to successfully defend the title he won in February when he knocked out the Bronze Bomber in the seventh round at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, USA.
WBC President, Mauricio Sulaiman has however confirmed that the winner between the two must make a mandatory defense again Whyte.
Whyte, 32, has previously accused WBC of overlooking him for a title shot, the heavyweight interim champion is set to get his desired fight come next year.
“The WBC has reviewed every single weight category, considering the pandemic,” Sulaiman said.
“We have had the flexibility with our champions and the WBC has approved Fury to fight by the end of the year, if it’s announced that it might be December 19, and the winner must make the mandatory defense early next year.
“When the [Fury-Wilder] fight takes place, we will order the pre-negotiations, so it’s a process that the promoters negotiate the fight and a date.
“It makes no sense to speculate on a date, but it’s going to be early next year when they are able to negotiate, or it goes to a purse bid.”
Meanwhile, promoter Eddie Hearn has said he still expects Whyte to take on the Gypsy King next year.
Previously, WBC has declared a mandatory fight must take place between the duo [Fury and Whyte] next year before the much-awaited Fury versus Anthony Joshua doubleheader bout.
“Dillian takes priority, he has to have that fight by the end of February, and if it goes into March, it goes into March.
“Anthony Joshua is boxing in December. He won’t be ready to box again until June-July.
“Everybody acknowledges that’s mandatory and that it’s next.”