The President of Spanish La Liga club FC Barcelona Josep Bartomeu has confirmed the exits of the team head coach Quiqu Setien, OJB Sport reports.
Barca have been tipped to sack Setien following Saturday’s humiliating 8-2 Champions League quarter-final defeat to Bayern Munich in Lisbon.
The Catalans conceded eight goals in a game for the first time since 1946, with Setien who replaced Ernesto Valverde in January accepting his future was out of his hands at Camp Nou.
With Barca reportedly poised to officially announce the 61-year-old’s departure, Bartomeu said.
“He’s no longer our coach” confirms Barca’s president Josep Bartomeu on Sunday night, at Cadena COPE microphones,”
Netherlands boss Koeman had been linked to Barca after Valverde was sacked, before the beleaguered Spanish powerhouse eventually turned to Setien.
Koeman previously revealed his Netherlands contract contains a clause that allows him to depart for Camp Nou following Euro 2020, though the European Championship has been pushed back 12 months due to coronavirus.
In June, Koeman – who won four La Liga titles and the European Cup/Champions League during his time at Camp Nou – told Catalunya Radio: “Everyone knows it’s my dream to coach Barca”.
Former Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino has also emerged as a possible option, along with club great Xavi and ex-Juventus coach Massimiliano Allegri.