Argentine legend, Diego Amando Maradona was called to glory on the 25th of November 2020, he was a celebrated man during his time on earth.
A footballer who had a mixed life of good and turbulence. We take a look at ten facts you never knew about the former Napoli man.
1.Diego Maradona almost signed for Sheffield United but Blades pulled out of deal over £40,000 in transfer fee but the English side opted for his fellow compatriot Alex Sabella who played for River Plate.
- Maradona is the only player throughout the entire existence of football to have broken the world record transfer fee twice.
- Italian authorities uncovered in 2009 that Maradona owes them €37 million.
- In 1998, Maradona Fans founded a “Church of Maradona” in Buenos Aires.
- In 1996 Maradona honestly confessed: “I was, I am and I generally will be a drug addict. An individual who engages in drugs needs to battle it consistently.”
- Diego Maradona sniffed cocaine on the pitch. Reportedly this occurrence happened following he scored the triumphant goal in a worldwide All-Star game in Pasadena a month after the finish of the 1986 World Cup. While celebrating he sniffed something off his hand which is accepted to be cocaine.
- He captained his national team on 16 games and holds the record for showing up as skipper of any nation in the FIFA World Cup.
- Maradona died on November 25, 2020 – the anniversary of both George Best and Fidel Castro, no less – after suffering a fatal heart attack.
- He was friends with Cuban leader Fidel Castro
- Maradona was Sergio Kun Agueros father in law. Aguero was married to Gianinna Maradona, a retired Argentine footballer’s youngest sibling, who was present at the 2009 birth of Benjamin, the son of the pair.