Nigerian Minister of Youth and Sport Development Mr Sunday Dare has sent an apology to the 10 athletes that were disqualified at Tokyo Olympics.

In a press statement from the Federal Ministry of Sport, titled, Statement: Ministry Wades to stem crisis’, on Friday, the minister apologized to the athletes who are ineligible to partake in the Games’ field and track event after failing to comply with anti-doping rules.

The statement also said that the minister promised to investigate the circumstances surrounding their disqualification.

The statement read in part, “The Ministry of Youth and Sports Development has stepped in to stem the further crisis by addressing the issues that have arisen concerning Team Nigeria athletes.”

“The Ministry is looking into some of the issues raised by the athletes and they are being addressed as quickly as possible.”

“The Honourable Minister on Thursday morning in a meeting spoke directly with the 10 track and field athletes who will not be competing and assured them of their welfare. He apologized to them for the unfortunate development that led to their exclusion and promised that it would be fully investigated.”

Director, Federation of Elites Athletes Department, Dr Simon Ebhojaiye was quoted to have said in the press statement that: “the Ministry is abreast of the situation on the ground and addressing them. Payment of various allowances commenced last week and it’s ongoing.”