Spanish giants FC Barcelona have completed the signing of Manchester City Winger Ferran Torres.
Barcelona had reached an agreement to sign the Spaniard last week for €55m plus €10m add ons which if the player agrees contractual terms will sign a five-year deal.
The former Valencia man has completed his medicals and was announced on Tuesday afternoon.
The official club statement states that he will be presented to members of ‘Barcelona first team squad’ at Camp Nou which will be followed by a press briefing.
“On Monday 3 January, from 11.00am CET, the player’s presentation as a new member of the FC Barcelona first team squad will take place in a event preceding the open doors training session at 12.00pm CET at Camp Nou. Following the training session, Ferran Torres will appear before the media in a remote press conference at the Ricard Maxenchs press room.
The event will be broadcast on Barça TV+ and also the FC Barcelona official digital channels from 10.30am CET.”FC Barcelona official webpage
The fee of €55m will make him the most expensive Spanish signing in Barcelona’s history although the terms of the deal taking him to Barcelona means the payments will be spread out and the major installments will not start until next year.
Reliable transfer broker Fabrizio Romano via his Twitter page also confirmed that the player’s release clause has been set for €1B joining the likes of Pedri and Ansu Fati who have similar clauses in their contracts.
“Official. Ferrán Torres joins Barcelona from Manchester City for €55m plus €10m add ons. Five year contract signed. 🔵🔴 #FCB
Release clause for €1B included into his contract – as for Pedri and Ansu Fati.”Fabrizio Romano on Twitter
Torres had joined City for an initial fee of £20.8m plus bonuses on a five-year deal in August 2020 but has just four Premier League appearances to his belt this season, scoring twice, and once more in the Champions League.
Sadly, the 21-year old had his time at City plagued with injuries and has been sidelined since October with a foot injury suffered on international duty with Spain.
City’s director of football Txiki Begiristain in his words commended youngster’s adaptability and says ‘he should be proud of what he has acheived with the Citizens: “Ferran should be proud of what he has achieved here at Manchester City.
“Last season was his first time in a new country, but he adapted well. He always gave 100 per cent, worked hard for the team and scored goals which helped us win trophies. He said.
“Injury unfortunately prevented him from playing more games this season, but Ferran is a player we have all enjoyed working with and we wish him all the best at Barcelona and for the rest of his career.” Begiristain
The 2021 Nations league finalist with Spain leaves the Etihad Stadium on a high having banged in 16 goals in 43 appearances for City in all competitions. He was also part of Pep Guardiola’s team that won the Premier League and Carabao Cup last season.