Former Real Madrid and Brazil winger Robinho has lost his final appeal against being convicted for the gang-rape of a young woman in a nightclub.

The 37-year old during his time at AC Milan was part of a group of Brazilians that gang-raped an Albanian woman in 2013 and was sentenced in 2017 having being found guilty.

It will be recalled that the ex-footballer appealed twice but went on to lose both with the most recent being in December 2020 when the Milan appeals court said “the victim was humiliated and used by the player and his friends to satisfy their sexual urges”.

Robinho who scored 28 goals for the Brazilian national team had his final appeal overruled on Wednesday with the Supreme Court in Rome upholding their ruling.

Robinho in his defence had tried to lay the claims of the victim false saying the relations had been consensual and also claimed the victim liked to drink a lot.

Jacopo Gnocchi said that judges “deemed that the appeal filed by the player was inadmissible and that therefore the sentence is final”.

“A total of 15 Italian magistrates consider the accusations to have been widely proven. Our wish is that Brazil carries out the sentence,” Gnocchi added

Robinho will have to pay €60,000 to cater for damages to the victim a fee which was attached to the 2017 ruling.

While it is left to be seen whether the Brazilian will serve his sentence in Brazilian or Italian jail due to extradition rules regarding Brazilian citizens, it is certain he will serve the sentence because he no longer has a right to appeal following the ruling of Italy’s Supreme Court.

Robinho began his career at Santos in 2002. He moved to Europe in 2005 when he joined Real Madrid. He then went on to play for Manchester City from 2008 to 2010 before securing a move to Milan where he went on to play for four years until 2014.

He also played in China with Guangzhou Evergrande, Atletico Mineiro in Brazil, and Turkish club İstanbul Basaksehir.