Manchester City fluffed a chance of extending their lead at the top of the pack after being forced to pick up a point on the road away at Southampton.

Pep Guardiola’s men fancied the chances of extending their lead over Liverpool and Chelsea who are yet to kick a ball when they travelled to St. Marys Stadium.

Ralph Hassenhutl’s men faced a daunting task of taking on the defending champions as they looked to shake off a 4-1 harrowing defeat to Wolves last time out.

City’s abysmal start to the game saw them chase on to the end as they had fallen behind within the first ten minutes all thanks to a stunning strike from Kyle Walker-Peters.

Aymeric Laporte pulled one back for Pep Guardiola’s men but a lot of golden chances went by for the Cityzens as they had scores to settle with the woodwork hitting the goal boundary twice in two minutes at a point.

City also had a penalty call waved as they had to settle for a point after the fierce stalemate.

Southampton raced into the lead through Kyle Walker-Peters who netted his first league goal of the season. The English right back pulled down the right slipping the ball further for Nathan Redmond who reached the byline and returned the ball to him.

The former Spurs man with a touch entered the box before sending an unstoppable shot flying past the aspiring hands of City goalie Ederson Moraes with his outside boot. The ball made its way successfully into the top left corner.

Walker-Peters channels a superb effort past Ederson to give Soton the lead

Ever since it had been City and City all through although Southampton had some chances along the line.

In the 38th minute, Manchester City almost drew level through Raheem Sterling who was played in by Foden but his shot from six yards out was well collected by Fraser Forster who was in goal for the Saints.

The first 45 minutes ended with the Saints ahead.

Manchester City came out smoking in the second half and were rewarded with an equalizer in the 64th minute through Aymeric Laporte who came from deep and powered a header from De Bruyne’s free-kick into the net.

Aymeric Laporte plants in his header to pull City level

The Belgian playmaker could have put his side ahead but he struck the post in the 70th minute.

Two minutes later into the 72′ substitute Gabriel Jesus also asked questions after hitting the post from a header.

The VAR also had a part in the game 13 minutes from stoppage time as the officials behind the camera denied De Bruyne who was clipped on the edge of the box a penalty neither did Armstrong see red.

1-1 it ended as the header from Aymeric Laporte prevented Manchester City from tasting their first defeat since October.

Manchester City have now opened a 12-point lead aloft the standings over second placed Liverpool who have a game against Crystal Palace on Sunday as well as a game to spare.

Up next for Manchester City is a game at home against Brentford.