Super Eagles midfielder, Alex Iwobi was stretched off the pitch after receiving a tackle from Tyrell Malacia as Manchester United defeated Everton 3-1 in the FA Cup third round at Old Trafford.

Iwobi played an important part when he was on the pitch as Everton were playing a 1-1 draw against Manchester United at that time, with the Toffees sitting deep and waiting to break on a counter attack.

His night was cut short when Iwobi tried to speed off with the ball in a potential counter attacking threat for the Toffees but the ball was taken off him when Tyrell Malacia made a tackle from behind to not only win the ball but catch Alex Iwobi on his ankle as he tried to stop the danger.

Iwobi immediately cried in pain and the team doctors rushed on to the pitch for on-field treatment before stretching the Nigerian off the pitch.

The resulting play was a throw-in as the referee didn’t consider the tackle a foul.

Match Summary

Manchester United wasted no time to get in front when a good hold up play from Martial set up Rashford on the left wing who surged forward to beat Godfrey. The English man put a low cross that evades Pickford in goal and the Everton defense for Antony to tap in at the far post.

United could have doubled their lead just two minutes later when a poor clearance from Pickford was picked up by Fernandes and passed to Martial. The number 9’s shot just skipped past the post.

As the home team attacked and Everton defended, United couldn’t still double their lead and had a great scare on the other end when Demarai Gray cut in to play a snapshot that hit the upright and bounced off De Gea and luckily for United to a corner.

The equalizer came through the most unlikely fashion when United tried to head the ball clear from a corner but Onana turned Casemiro then fed the ball to Muapay who played a weak shot that De Gea tried to save with his legs. Unfortunately for the Spaniard, the ball skimmed through his legs and fell kindly for an aware Conor Coady to tap in.

Manchester United had couple of chances to turn the game around before halftime with Martial’s shot being blocked by Tarkwoski and another being excellently saved by a well spread Pickford. Rashford outside the box bounced shot was also parried away by Pickford.

Two minutes into the second half, Iwobi is stretchered off the pitch after a strong challenge by Malacia and he is replaced by Abdoulaye Doucouré.

Minutes later, a nice footwork on the left flank by Rashford to beat Coleman and place a dangerous ground cross into the box is attempted to be cleared by Coady but was unfortunately put into his own net to make it 2-1 in favour of Manchester United.

Antony tried to make it 3-1 but his shot is saved by Pickford. Doucouré also tried to do similar thing at the other end but his shot was also saved by De Gea and Mykolenko’s rebound was cut out by Varane.

In the 66th minute, Eriksen passed a free kick to Fernandes and the stand-in captain shot the ball at goal but was well pushed over by Pickford.

In what could have been a memorable equalizer for Everton, VAR confirmed Gray was offside in the build up. Calvert-Lewin’s excellent flick puts Gray into space, who in turn volleys inside to Coleman. The full-back races forward before finding Gray again, who beats Malacia in the box before squaring for Calvert-Lewin to finish! Everton celebrate, but the referee is called back by VAR, who confirm Coleman was offside and rule the goal out!

Rashford tried to make it 3-1 in the 89th minute as he stepped up to shoot a free kick but Pickford once again tipped it over the bar.

Demarai Gray on the other end tried to get an equalizer but was well saved by De Gea at his near post.

Rashford will eventually make it 3-1, this time from the penalty spot when Garancho was fouled by Ben Godfrey in the box.