On Monday, Lionel Messi and Alexia Putellas were crowned the best Men’s and Women’s players of the year for 2022 at the Fifa Best Awards.
Despite facing an ACL injury in July, Putellas, the Barcelona captain, won the award for the second consecutive time. She led her club to a perfect league record. Putellas earned the title by being the top scorer in the 2021/22 Women’s Champions League with 11 goals, also helping her team, Barcelona, to achieve an impeccable league record.
Messi, meanwhile, helped Argentina win World Cup glory with seven goals and picked up his 77th individual award in football.
Additionally, Marcin Oleksy won the Puskás Award for his scissor kick for Warta Poznan, which beat out notable contenders such as Dimitri Payet from Marseille and Richarlison from Brazil. Oleksy is a Polish amputee.
FIFA FIFPRO WORLD XI
The men’s world eleven
The women’s world eleven
All other winners
- Men’s Goalkeeper of the Year: Emiliano Martinez (Aston Villa/Argentina)
- Women’s Goalkeeper of the Year – Mary Earps (Manchester United/England)
- Men’s Coach of the Year – Lionel Scaloni (Argentina)
- Women’s Coach of the Year – Sarina Wiegman (England)
- Fifa Fan Award – Argentinian fans
- Fifa Fair Play Award – Luka Lochoshvili