Barcelona head coach, Xavier Hernández Creus has questioned the decision of Laliga to rescind Vinicius’ red card after his altercation with Valencia forward, Hugo Duro on Sunday.
“I don’t know if overturning Vinicius Junior’s red card is fair. My thoughts are that racism should be condemned.
“It’s a different thing what the players do on the pitch. There was aggression there so I am surprised that they rescinded the red card.” Xavi said ahead of Barcelona’s game against Valladolid.
The week 35 Laliga game between Real Madrid and Valladolid caused a lot of uproar. Hours after the game, the RFEF fired six referees, including the VAR head on the night, for sending ‘biased’ images of the fight between Vinicius Jr and Hugo Duro.
Considering the evidence presented to center referee, Ricardo de Burgos Bengoetxea who decided to give Vinícius the marching orders in stoppage time while Duro who was later seen choking Vini walked with no repercussions.
Vinicius had earlier been racially abused by fans at the Estadio de Mestalla Stadium, which led to the game being halted for 10 minutes as the player pointed out people who were abusing him in the stands.
The Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) on Tuesday, said they’ve declared Vinicius’ red card on the night null and void and annulled any suspension it brought with it.
The RFEF also announced that it had fined the club 45,000 euros ($49,536) and that the south stand of the Valencia stadium for five matches.